Student Learning Outcomes
Students earning an MPA degree will be able to:
- Manage human resources and organizational processes effectively by applying policies, concepts, and skills of human resource management and understanding the contemporary issues facing public/nonprofit personnel management.
- Apply collaborative practices in teamwork to resolve problems and accomplish tasks, both intra-organizationally and inter-organizationally.
- Appraise the organizational environment, both internal and external, as well as culture, politics, and institutional setting.
- Prepare and analyze budgets in a public context in order to evaluate organizational effectiveness and assist in decision making.
- Lead effectively by recognizing and assessing a variety of leadership techniques and styles and valuing different perspectives.
- Apply their understanding of the policy-making processes as part of a policy analysis with strategies for implementation and evaluation, applying public service values.
- Value the responsibilities of public service by demonstrating responsiveness to their publics and recognizing the legal and ethical responsibilities for engaging in professional behavior.
- Consistently apply critical thinking to a public issue (e.g. policy, ethics, HRM, etc.) in order to decide what, if any, action to take.
- Frame research questions, identify and gather appropriate information, and recognize applicable research methods for systematically analyzing evidence in order to answer the research questions.
- Communicate effectively in oral and written forms by tailoring their approach to the modes of communication appropriate to diverse audiences and a wide range of professional communicative situations.