Graduate Program Guidelines
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required as part of your application.
- One letter must be academic, i.e. from a former professor.
- Letter of Recommendation cover sheet (pdf) must be included.
The Personal Statement, required as part of your application, must clearly indicate:
- Why you want to participate in the program.
- What you expect to gain.
- A summary of what you see as your professional future.
- A description of any prior voluntary community service work.
The Writing Sample, required as part of your application, must clearly:
- Describes a public problem that concerns you.
- Speculate briefly on its causes.
- Summarize what you think would be an optimum way of dealing with it.
At the beginning of the first semester in the program, students are assigned a temporary advisor. Students can choose to continue with their temporary advisor or choose a new permanent advisor for any reason at any time during that first semester. Advisor change requests are typically granted but are dependent on faculty workload policies. Faculty advisors assist in many aspects of the program, including:
- Selecting elective courses
- Setting up the practicum
- Guiding program progress and success
- Providing professional and career advice